June 23, 2010

Surprises suprises

I cannot handle surprises. I am a planner and the thought of waiting for something to happen without me knowing what it is drives me nuts! I am great at organising surprises for others and did so on many occasions for D or my parents. I am guilty of always knowing ahead of time what I would get from my parents each Christmas. My mom would do her best to hide the presents and I would always find them months ahead. I wouldn't tell them I found them but knowing what I was going to get eased my mind. It's not as if I did it so I could play for them or ask for something else, it's just that I could not handle the anticipation. This of course drives D and my friends and family insane!

I haven't changed that much from that child. D and I got married on the 16th of July which is a day earlier than my birthday. We didn't plan it this way, it just happened that the embassy could only marry us on this date. Well last year we celebrated our first wedding anniversary and D was all cool about not getting crazy presents which put me completely off guard. So as the first wedding anniversary is paper I got him a subscription to his favourite newspaper. Not the most romantic of gifts but we had "agreed" on something small. When I got home that night the door bell rang and the florist handed me pillow of red roses with a balloon attached to it
tha said "I love you". I was in total shock. What was all of this??? Then D arrived and with a big I -got -you -good grin on his face and handed me a Tiffany's bag.... not any bag a Tiffany' bag!! My heart almost burst out of my chest! Again, what was all this? I gave him one of my looks (I am knowing to give petrifying looks) and he said "you are the only woman I know who gets upset getting a Tiffany's bag!" I wiped that look from my face and gave him a big sloppy kiss instead! The Tiffany's bag contained the cutest most thoughtful of charm bracelets. D picked all the charms himself which made it even more special! So there, he got me good. He told me later that even though he planned everything for months he got everything that same day so I wouldn't have chance to know what I was up to. I am that bad!

Well this year is a special year for us, we are finally pregnant and in October Isabella will be here with us, it's our second wedding anniversary, I turn 30 and D 29 (not liking this!!!) and in October we celebrate our 10 year anniversary (date in which we first kiss and have been together since!). So as you see it's a BIG year. First on the list of celebrations is our anniversary on the 16th of July then my birthday on the 17th. I normally don't do anything on my birthday. Last time I felt like celebrating it was when I turned 18. D and I normally go out for a nice meal or do something that I like doing. This year I want to celebrate it big time. Big Time for me might not mean the same to others. I told D I wanted to have a dinner with all my favourite people that live here and I definitely wanted a cake and presents! He has been off organizing the evening, sending invites to friends and making reservations and you know what.. this time I DON'T want to know! I want a BIG surprise! I am doing the opposite of what I would have done in the past. We have also agreed that given I cannot fly anywhere for a short break we would go somewhere nearby for an extended weekend gateway to celebrate our anniversary. D told me yesterday that it's all done and booked and to take the 18th off from work. I was in shock, he has organised it all! I am not surprised because I doubted he would do it or could not organise it but because he has done it and I had no clue! He asked me if I wanted to know where we were going and I said that I didn't. I cannot wait to be surprised!

So all I have to do now is act very unlike me and just go with the flow and see what will happen. Scary thought...

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words this morning. I cannot get over how GORGEOUS those red roses are. Wow. What a GREAT hubby. So excited to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic!! Mike also managed to surprise me last year for my birthday and I almost fell off a chair!! I can't wait to see what he has organised and also you have to tell me much more about how you met and where you live now! Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun tidbit - July 16th is my birthday. ;) haha. I hope you have a wonderful anniversary, birthday and delivery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, right on. I love it. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - this will be very fun. Enjoy the surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you have a wonderful time and that you enjoy the surprise getaway! I can not wait to hear about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ICLW #158 Your story has given me so much hope. Thank you for your candidness. I can't wait to be on the other side of this journey as you are! God bless you and your little Isabella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful, thoughtful surprise! A perfect celebration of little Isabelle.

    ~Jem (ICLW #56)

    ReplyDelete